The events contained within were discovered via the following:
- The Crystal City/Crystal Screen outdoor movie series. This year's theme is "by the numbers."
- Screen on the Green, brought to you by HBO and a lot of loyal fans. This screen shows more classic movies this year.
- The Freer and Sackler Galleries. Yet more movies, and other events. Remember that I'm selecting things that I'm personally interested in attending. Please check behind the links for more! (Also, stop in the see one of my favorite works by Whistler: the Peacock Room.)
- Kennedy Center Millenium Stage. There's a free performance/concert/show every night all year.
- The Torpedo Factory. Always has studios and galleries open to the public.
- Smithsonian Institution, including the Smithsonian Folklife Festival. Obviously I haven't included the (20) museums that are free and awesome on a daily basis, but some special events are on the calendar.
- Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. Many DC-ites have raved about both the Aquatic Gardens and the National Arboretum as head-clearing refuges. Check out the water lily festival in July.
- The Library of Congress. The Center for the Book has some interesting book talks, and of course there's the National Book Festival in September (for a whole two days!).
- Jazz in the Garden, National Gallery of Art. Every Friday evening in the Nat'l Gallery Sculpture Garden. Tends to be a bit crowded, but if you get a good seat (arrive on time) the music is live and you can bring a picnic.
The calendar will update on this page when new events are added, so check back, or use the "+Google Calendar" button on the bottom right corner to subscribe in Google Calendar. Alternatively, use this .ics file in ical or other calendar applications.
Suggestions for additions are welcome.
ps. I'm trying out some schmancy drop caps at the top of each post. If they don't display/line up well, let me know. Blogger doesn't have much of a way to add something like that without it being an image, and because the settings for images (e.g. the border) are universal, I don't think I can change that for an individual post.