So after the pesto and whatnot I made scones as an afterthought. The recipe came from the Washington Post food section, but of course I didn't quite have everything required. I substituted whole wheat flour for the barley flour and used some chopped up and slightly macerated strawberries as the center layer. They make a fantastic not-too-sweet dessert or a snack with tea and are in fact ridiculously easy to make. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but rest assured that they're very tasty and attractive scones.
Ingredients:For the scones
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, plus more for greasing the baking sheet
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons barley flour, plus more for the work surface
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup regular or low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam or marmalade
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Find the rest of the recipe here.